Research forms a solid academic platform in a tertiary teaching unit and an integral component of a Medical Specialist. It is with this belief that I recently joined SANBI in order to pursue my desire to develop and work with a scientific team that will focus on cutting edge health related research in keeping with international trends.
As a Haemato-Pathologist my primary research interest is in HIV related lymphomas. As people with HIV on Antiretroviral treatment live longer, research Nationally and Internationally has demonstrated a rise in certain lymphomas that occur as a consequence of infection with HIV, amongst other pathogenetic mechanisms.
Thus and in keeping abreast with current international research I aim to investigate the role of Precision/Personalised Medicine in Pathology, specifically focusing on the detection of biomarkers for the diagnosis, prognostication and management of HIV related lymphomas. The way forward in this type of research will be with the use of bioinformatics data to carry out larger scale OMIC research.
- Carmen Aanei, Ioana Berindan-Neagoe, Cristina Selicean, Delia Dima, Anca Jurj, Anastasia Melek Ravnit Grewal Ciprian Tomuleasa Minimal residual disease in chronic lymphocytic leukemia: A consensus paper that presents the clinical impact of the presently available laboratory approaches Critical Reviews in Clinical Laboratory Sciences, May 2018 DOI: 10.1080/10408363.2018.1463508
- Grewal R, Chetty M, Abayomi E-A, Tomuleasa C, and Fromm JR Use of Flow Cytometry in the Phenotypic Diagnosis of Hodgkin’s Lymphoma Cytometry Part B June 2018; 9999: 1–12. DOI: 10.1002/cyto.b.21724
- Esam-Rajab Mahroug,Candice Sher-Locketz, Minodora-Silvia Desmirean, Emmanuel-Akinola Abayomi, Ciprian Tomuleasa, Ravnit Grewal Castleman’s disease in an HIV endemic area Cancer Management and Research October 2018:10 4553–4563 DOI:10.2147/CMAR.S175648
- Sonia Emilia Selicean, Ciprian Tomuleasa, Ravnit Grewal, Graca Almeida- Porada & Ioana Berindan-Neagoe Mesenchymal stem cells in myeloproliferative disorders – focus on primary myelofibrosis Leukemia & Lymphoma October 2018 DOI:10.1080/10428194.2018.1516881
Recent Conference Attended:
- 4th Global Genomic medicine conference , Cape Town, South Africa Precision medicine in oncology 28-30 November 2018