This page contains a list of student theses from completed masters and doctoral programmes.
- Ibrahim Ahmed – PhD Thesis, 2017: Computational prediction of host-pathogen protein-protein interactions
- Werner Veldsman – MSc Thesis, 2016: SNP based literature and data retrieval
- Rosaline Machara – PhD Thesis, 2016: Characterisation of olfactory responsive genes in selected Tsetse Species: Annotation and comparative analyses of chemosensory proteins in the Genus Glossina
- Lynley Abdoll – BSc Medical Biosciences (Honours), 2016: The effects of single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) on the functionality of human arylamine N-acetyltransferase1 (NAT1)
- Warren Jacobus – BSc Computer Science (Honours), 2016:
- Larry Van Vuuren – PhD Thesis, 2016: Identification of coding variants associated with familial systematic lupus erythematosus through whole exome sequencing
- Eugene Madzokere – MSc Thesis, 2015: The phylogeography, epidemiology and determinants of Maize streak virus dispersal across Africa and the adjacent Indian Ocean Islands
- Tracey Calvert-Joshua – MSc Thesis, 2015: Integrating regulatory and methylome data for the discovery of clear cell Renal Cell Carcinoma (ccRCC) variants
- Stephanie Pitts – MSc Thesis, 2015: An investigation into the MicroRNA-gene interactions involved in the pathogenesis of systemic lupus erythematosus
- Azeez Fatai – PhD Thesis, 2015: Computational analysis of multilevel omics data for the elucidation of molecular mechanisms of cancer
- Darlington Mapiye – PhD Thesis, 2015: Computational genomics approaches for kidney diseases in Africa
- Samuel Egieyeh – PhD Thesis, 2015: Computational strategies to identify, prioritize and design potential antimalarial agents from natural products
- Michael Berry – PhD Thesis, 2015: Massively–parallel computational identification of novel broad spectrum antivirals to combat coronavirus infection
- Adugna Woldesemayat – PhD Thesis, 2015: Genomic and proteomic analysis of drought tolerance in sorghum (Sorghum bicolour (L.) Moench)
- Imogen Wright – PhD Thesis, 2015: Development of rapid, sensitive sequence alignment tools for application to high-throughput sequencing data
- Batsirai Mabvakure – MSc Thesis, 2015: Global population dynamics and spread of Tomato yellow leaf curl virus
- Leendert Cloete – MSc Thesis, 2014: The molecular evolution and epidemiology of Rubella virus
- George Obiero – PhD Thesis, 2014: Genome-wide annotation of chemosensory and glutamate-gated receptors, and related genes in Glossina morsitans morsitans tsetse fly
- Kavisha Ramdayal – PhD Thesis, 2014: Evolution of HIV-1 subtype C gp120 envelope sequences in the female genital tract and blood plasma during acute and chronic infection
- Alecia Naidu – PhD Thesis, 2014: Computational characterisation of DNA methylomes in mycobacterium tuberculosis Beijing hyper- and hypo-virulent strains
- Stanley Kimbung – PhD Thesis, 2014: A computational framework for transcriptome assembly and annotation in non-model organisms: the case of venturia inaequalis
- Emad Fadhal – PhD Thesis, 2014: Novel graph theoretic methods for characterizing the structure of protein-protein interaction networks to identifying functionally important proteins with applications to cancer therapeutic target discovery.
- Mahjoubeh Jalali – PhD Thesis, 2014: Application of whole-exome sequencing and biomedical knowledge discovery in clinical diagnostics, disease-risk prediction and personalised medicine.
- Ram Shreshtha – PhD Thesis, 2014: Management and analysis of HIV-1 ultra -deep sequence data
- Saleema Crous – MSc Thesis, 2013: Characterising the Prevalence and Mode of CXCR4 Usage in HIV-1 Group M Subtype C
- Zahra Dashti – PhD Thesis, 2013: Computational characterization of IRE-regulated genes in Glossina morsitans
- Mushal Ali – PhD Thesis, 2013: Identification and characterization of microRNAs and their putative target genes in Anopheles funestus s.s
- Sarah Mwangi – PhD Thesis, 2013: In silico investigation of Glossina morsitans promoters.
- Ruben Cloete – PhD Thesis, 2013: The prioritized selection, homology modeling and docking studies of potential drug targets in Mycobacterium tuberculosis located within first line drug resistant pathways.
- Frederick Nindo – MSc Thesis, 2013: Uncovering HIV Sexual Transmission Networks in Karonga District, Malawi
- Casper Joubert – MSc Thesis, 2012: The potential of commercial praziquantel formulations as “off label” treatments for diplectanum oliveri (monogenea) infecting cultured argyrosomus species in the South African marine finfish aquaculture industry
- Wisdom Akurugu – MSc Thesis, 2012: Effects of nucleotide variation on the structure and function of human arylamine n-acetyltransferase 1
- Tracey Kibler – MSc Thesis, 2012: A computational characterisation of the relationship between genome structure and disease genes
- Emil Tanov – MSc Thesis, 2012: The identification of biologically important secondary structures in disease-causing RNA viruses.
- Darlington Mapiye – MSc Thesis, 2012: Normalization and statistical methods for crossplatform expression array analysis
- Edwin Murungi – PhD Thesis, 2012: Unravelling Trypanosomabruceihuman protein-protein interactions: An investigation of intracellular trafficking towards the flagellar pocket and computational prediction of the Flagellarinteractome
- Firdous Khan – MSc Thesis, 2012: Regulatory attributes of the carotenoid biosynthetic pathway in Arabidopsis thaliana under abiotic stress
- Mmakamohelo Direko – MSc Thesis, 2012: Genome assembly of next generation sequencing data for the Oryx bacillus: a species of the Mycobacterium tuberculosis Complex
- Oreetseng Minah Moncho – MSc Thesis, 2012: Annotation of cutinases in Venturiainaequalis: Towards an ENSEMBL fungal computational Framework
- Vijay Bansode – PhD Thesis, 2012: Drug resistance, evolution and diversity of HIV-1 in Malawi.
- Ishla Seager – PhD Thesis, 2012: Molecular Characterisation of the HIV-1 Epidemic in Karonga District, Malawi, with Particular Emphasis on Long-Term Survivors
- Muhammed Adam – MSc Thesis, 2011: A knowledge base of stress reponsive gene regulatory elements in arabidopsis Thaliana
- Samuel Kwofie – PhD Thesis, 2011: Development of a Hepatitis C Virus knowledge base with computational prediction of functional hypothesis of therapeutic relevance
- Musa Gabere – PhD Thesis, 2011: Prediction of antimicrobial peptides using hyperparameter optimized support vector machines
- Mark Wamalwa – PhD Thesis, 2011: Development of a comprehensive annotation and curation framework for analysis of Glossina Morsitans Morsitans expresses sequence tags
- Monique Maqungo – PhD Thesis, 2011: Prostate cancer knowledgebase with functional genomic data analysis.
- Conor Meehan – PhD Thesis, 2011: Understanding the interaction between HIV-1 and chemokine receptors during host cell entry with focus on the potential for resistance to CCR5-antagonists
- Adéle Kruger – PhD Thesis, September 2009: Development and Implementation of Ontology-Based Systems for Mammalian Gene Expression Profiling
- Feziwe Mpondo – MSc Thesis, September 2009: A Comparative Genomics Approach Towards Classifying Immunity-related Proteins in the Tsetse Fly
- Kavisha Ramdayal – MSc Thesis, September 2009: Incidence and Regulatory Implications of Single Nucleotide Polymorphisms among Established Ovarian Cancer Genes
- Sarah Mwangi – MSc Thesis, September 2009: An evolutionary genomics approach towards analysis of genes implicated in transmission of trypanosomes between tsetse fly and mammalian host
- Alecia Naidu – MSc Thesis, 2009: The development of a single nucleotide polymorphism database for forensic identification of specified physical traits
- Aleksandar Radovanovic – PhD Thesis, 2009: Concept Based Knowledge Discovery from Biomedical Literature
- Eugene Duvenage – MSc Thesis, 2008: miRNAMatcher: High throughput miRNA discovery using regular expressions obtained via a genetic algorithm
- Frederick Kamanu – MSc Thesis, 2008: Computational verification of published human mutations
- Mario Jonas – MSc Thesis, September 2006: High Performance Computing and Algorithm Development: Application of Dataset Development to Algorithm Parameterisation
- Farahnaz Ketwaroo – MSc Thesis, September 2006: Detection of positive selection in longitudinal Nevirapine treated reverse transcriptase sequences
- Nothemba Kula – MSc Thesis, March 2005: Mung Bean Nuclease Digestion of Plasmodium DNA: Fact or Fiction?
- Faizel Mosoval – MSc Thesis, March 2005: Determining the rate of structural changes in human duplicate genes
- Anelda Boardman – MSc Thesis, 2004: Assessment of genome visualization tools relevant to HIV genome research: development of a genome browser prototype
- Janet Kelso – PhD Thesis, April 2003: The Development and Application of Informatics-based Systems for the Analysis of the Human Transcriptome
- Victoria Nembaware – MSc Thesis: Analysis of sequence divergence using completely sequenced genomes
- Elana Ernstoff – MSc Thesis, December 2002: HIV Subtype C Diversity: Analysis of the Relationship of Sequence Diversity to Proposed Epitope Locations
- Tzu-ming Chern – MSc Thesis, September 2002: Low Detection of Exon-skipping in Mouse Genes Orthologous to Human Genes on Chromosome 22
- Junaid Gamieldien – PhD Thesis, December 2001: Novel Genomic Approaches for the Indentification of Virulence Genes and Drug Targets in Pathogenic Bacteria
- Alan Christoffels – PhD Thesis, September 2001: Generation of a human gene index and its application to disease candidacy
- Ekow Oppon – PhD Thesis, December 2000: Synergistic use of Promoter Prediction Algorithms: A choice for Small Training Dataset?
- Andrey Ptitsyn – PhD Thesis, October 2000: New Algorithms for EST Clustering