- To become a centre of global, African and South African excellence, achieving the highest levels in biomedical research and education.
- To conduct cutting edge bioinformatics and computational biology research relevant to South African, African and global populations.
- To develop human resources in bioinformatics and computational biology by educating and mentoring scientists.
- To increase awareness of and access to bioinformatics and computational biology resources.
- To generate and publish high quality, relevant biomedical research.
- To train and graduate competent and productive researchers.
- To add value to the academic program of the University of the Western Cape.
- To enhance other research fields through collaborative projects.
- To establish sources of renewable funding to pursue the mission of the institute.